Please circulate to Branches. If you would like to sign it please email email@example.com
[This UCU branch] notes that existing UCU policy on migration and labour markets recognises the social, cultural and economic value of migration and opposes all forms of racism and the Points-Based Immigration Scheme. This policy, however, does not explicitly refer to a commitment to defend the free movement of labour, including for all workers in higher education.
[This UCU branch] further notes that the existing free movement of labour within the European Economic Area (EEA) is threatened by the EU referendum vote to leave. If this is ended, EEA staff will be drawn under the Points-Based Immigration Scheme, meaning that they will be subject to the same continual visa restrictions, employer-sponsorship arrangements, etc., that our international colleagues face. Similar barriers will likely be placed on UK nationals living in or moving to the EEA.
[This UCU branch] believes that the end of freedom of movement of labour would represent a significant worsening of the condition of present and future EEA staff in the UK. Any restrictions on freedom of movement of labour, and our right to work without discrimination based on nationality, will put increasing competitive pressure on EEA staff, and thus affect staff as a whole and weaken our union.
[This UCU branch] therefore agrees that, while continuing to campaign against the Points-Based Immigration Scheme, we must defend existing free movement arrangements, both within and without the EEA.
[This UCU branch] resolves urgently to campaign for the following:
- the free movement of labour and opposition to the Points-Based Immigration Scheme
- an up-front guarantee for existing EU/EEA citizens in the UK to stay
- protection for EU research funding and EU students
- full recognition of workers’ rights throughout EU withdrawal negotiations
[This UCU branch] further resolves
- to publicise the fact that this motion has been passed and encourage other UCU branches to do likewise
- to submit this motion, when passed, to the National Executive Committee of UCU
- to liaise with other branches regarding submitting a version of this motion to UCU Congress 2017